Exploration, Conquest and Colonization

This weekend I am leading rather a gentleman's life with lots of relaxation and just nipping into the studio for rare moments to relive the life of Italy's Chris Columbus. My life as a potter has been a bit like Chris's- exploration, conquest and colonization. Well, I've done a lot exploring and I have won a few and lost a few in the conquest department as for the colonization I am still searching for The New World. On this long journey across the Atlantic I'm going to have a long talk with Chris and suggest this idea of slavery be abolished. Not a good idea, Chris.
I'm building the Santa Maria for Chris and I to set sail to America in about 6 weeks.  My time machine is set at 1492. In the ballast I am going to fill it with Extra Virgin Olive Oil and no firewater to ruin the lives of so many of the indigenous peoples. They have to promise though not to introduce the wicked fire weed that so many here still seem to be sucking on. One of the funniest sketches on tobacco by Bob Newhart talking to Sir Walter Raleigh https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XDxAzVEbN4- you bought 80 tons of leaves, Walt!!!! Have you ever seen England in the fall?
So as for the Santa Maria I built the hull over a plaster mould from the studio. I measured the circumference of the oval with a string and threw the side walls and gunnels.  I then threw the front and rear decks. Threw the keel. I did my coil and bang handles for fender bumpers in case we crash into something in the night.
Santa Maria still in the boat yard

I just pulled the sails which will serve as a place to cure some bacon on the return trip back to the Old World.  From pictures of home- Canada is no place for this gentleman in the winter.
Santa Maria sails are trimmed

Columbus makes a mark- good or bad!

Wait till the Italians taste Canadian back bacon. I am going to be a very rich man. Uncle Donny and Aunt Nancy-  Springwater Packers is going international. Sharpen your knives and get ready to be rich.
I brought a bit of home with me. The world's best bacon.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Where is the promised land?
Anonymous said…
Don't forget to pack your grass skirt when heading south.

Popular Posts