The Prison Inside of Me.


I read today that South Koreans work too hard. They work 14 hours a day for 6 days a week. Hmmmm, this sounds like someone I know. So the Koreans have figured out a sabbatical called The Prison Inside of Me.  It's like a jail and they are not allowed phones and computers . The idea is for them to turn inwards and recharge their spiritual batteries. I am due for that. I've been on a tread mill for the past 6 years. I don't want to go to prison but I could use some R and R.
I'm checking out tomorrow for a morning on my own after 7 weeks of working like a South Korean. I'm going to get a nice espresso at a bar downtown. I'm going to get a hair cut. I'm going to the farmers market. I'm going to look at Italian glasses frames as the ones I currently have bore me. 
I am then going back to La Meridiana to deliver a lecture on 11 ways to live a creative life. Last night I had a phone call from a former student in Canada that has given everything she has to ceramics and is looking for a real paying job. I feel half hearted about tomorrow's lecture so I need to walk the streets of Certaldo and regather my confidence. 
Here are some wonderful images from the assistant cook Susanna Rigon here at La Meridiana, parenting two teenagers, cooking and just look at this talent. There is talent everywhere here at LA MERIDIANA.  In some ways this work reminds me of the humour in Ronnie the Rats pots. I can never get enough of the work of Ron Meyers.  I asked for 6 small paintings and she gave me 11 to choose from. I couldn't decide so  I got greedy and took them all.  It's Ok artists support other artists whose work they like.  My prison walls are covered in art, pots and books. 
I absolutely love this one!


How creative is this?

That splash of red and then a head on top- brilliant!

The bow on it's head kills me. So good!






Comments

Anonymous said…
R&R, time to head to the South Pacific, Tahiti, Fiji or Samoa!
Anonymous said…
Real jobs are loaded with their own drawbacks, measure success with happiness.
Unknown said…
Sabbaticals for the self-employed.......one of the most important things ever. Dick Lehman
Anonymous said…
Should we take those sabbaticals once every seven years, or sooner?
Anonymous said…
Looking forward to that collaboration, do you think about working together with the cook S. Rigon to decorated some of your pots with those amazing birds.

Popular Posts