The Cliff

This year it seems I've been all over the globe teaching. Haven't had a lot of time for my own work but that said I've learned a lot about clay and the people that teach it.  It seems everywhere I go students have teachers that present a lot of rules on what needs to be done to make a pot. I just laugh under my breath. These are rules that are meant to keep students as students and demonstrate power.
One must wedge a piece of clay 100 times. One must take that piece of clay and wheel wedge by making a cone 5 times before making a pot. One must do this and that.
I laughed watching my cousin Brenda Smith make pots today. She has made hundreds of thousands of pots over her 40+ years and she doesn't have a wedging table in the studio. Never has! Well she does have this rickety old thing that wobbles and never gets used.  She pugs the clay
This is production throwing-Brenda Smith
This is what I am capable of but no longer do. The training ground.

Still want to be a potter?
, cuts into the correct weight and throws it. Clay from a clay supplier has come to you from a pug mill worth hundreds of thousands of dollars. This is not clay dug from the ground.
The students in Italy told me my throwing made them nervous. I don't really centre. I think it is but it is probably off a bit. So what? Learn the rules and then learn how to creatively break them.
Brenda just laughs at people wedging a one pound ball of clay. She will have made 5 bowls while they are still wedging the clay.
I maintain people tip toe to the cliff but the cliff is 11 miles away. I tiptoed and then jumped.

Comments

Tom Wirt said…
Well, if you never jump, you never know if your 'chute will open. I'm with Brenda! Every so often I listen to Guy Clark's "Always Trust Your Cape", just to keep me on track. You're so good at this jumping stuff, you don't even need a cape. Carry on.
TWirt
Anonymous said…
I spend more time trying to center the clay, than I do throwing the piece.

All right from now on, I'm going to do my best, and then just move on to throwing.

Most of the time, I don't cone on the wheel, because that seems to throw it off more, and it takes me more time to center it again. Thanks for releasing me from the coning rule.

Any other rules I should be breaking?
Anonymous said…
Now is it slip and score or score and slip before joining?

And should I use water, slip, vinegar, or piss & vinegar to join clay?

gz said…
Rules, rules....so many teachers try to dictate, not realising that their job is to enable the student to achieve.
Every potter is different...look at your own family. Each doing great work
Anonymous said…
GZ- Bring in more rules if you think the student may be getter even better than you. Can't have that!!!!
Tony Clennell said…
Geezus that last Anonymous to GZ was me. I can't pass the test to sign in. I wondered why everyone was undercover agents. Sorry about that. Maybe just put your name at the end of your message.
Anonymous said…
No more wedging, no more coning, no more rules, and more teacher's dirty looks.

Yeah, I'm free to do what I want at last!

PS
Anonymous said…
What about rule #3? All parts of a pot should be of even thickness from wall to bottom.

SS (Secret Sam)
Anonymous said…
Well Secret Sam, I have seen the shards of a T.C. pot that exploded in a biscuit firing at Mohawk College. So if you are planning on breaking rules, be prepared for a few tears and some kiln explosions.
Anonymous said…
The pot didn't explode because of uneven thickness. It was obviously not completely dry or the bisque went too fast. TC
I came across a ideal platform to sell art / antiques
Where the artist information is published
there are no online portals commissions
or middle men
excellent web portal to promote or event do social media marketing for art events
regard

E-mail:- acf5566@gmail.com
Phone number:- 9873622215

Website:- artculturefestival.in
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/artnculturefest/
Anonymous said…
"one eye sees, the other feels"

Paul Klee
Anonymous said…
"Never do the commonplace, rules are fatal to the progress of art."

Marcel Duchamp

Popular Posts