Easy is getting harder every day!- Iris Dement

Forty years ago when I had a washboard stomach, a strong back and weak mind I could carry two boxes of clay up and down the stairs of my studio. When I approached 60 it was one and now a decade later I sometimes leave the clay outside at the top of the stairs and take one bag down at a time. Yes we get older but we hopefully also get smarter.
In my days when I actually had a product line and stores waiting for orderes I could bang out 100 of these noodles bowls in a one day sitting. A day or two later 100 pie plates. Today a nice bike ride with my pal John, a nice breakfast together, a little gardening and I managed to squeak out 18 noodle bowls in an hour. I took a break from my usual madness of making what I want to make and thought about financing my surgical sabbatical.
I'm not into using Japanese words that I can't pronounce. I'm going to use the words beautiful scar. I think I remember the Vikings whom are part of my ancestory felt a scar was a sign of bravery. I have sported a scar across my forehead since I was three. I went flying thru the windsheild of my parents car when we were hit by a drunk driver. A couple more above my eyebrow and on my lip from fights I had as a teen. Pretty sure I wouldn't want to fight anyone today. I like the idea of Golden Repair. Trust your instincts and ambitions. Making the noodle bowls today was not doing that. It was resorting back to what I know is safe and easy. Easy has gotten harder for me every day!

Comments

Popular Posts