Potters Field, Bone Yard, Jurassic Park, Geezers Paradox

I've been writing this blog now for over 17 years and I have discovered that a catchy headline attracts readers. I had the above 4 on my mind and they work in different ways for me. The day after Ash and Barrel Invitational I was off to do a one day workshop with The Toronto Potters Guild who are celebrating their 50th year. On my opening introduction I faced the bone yard of so many that had such a big part in my pottery career. The Guild has kept bisque examples of many of us that have presented there. Some are not unknown to y'all so don't really belong in a grave sight for the unknown. Behind me was Les Manning who was Head of Ceramics at The Banff School of Fine Arts where at age 26 I took my first extensive course. He is just one of the potters in that room no longer with us at least not in person. There was Robin Hopper, Mathias Oostermann, and Peter Covello and more. In Jurassic Park there were many- Carol Ann Michealson,Wayne Cardinalli, Tim de Rose, and others. I should have made notes. In front of me was Bruce Cochrane. He and I had just done Ash and Barrel together. Here's the Geezers Paradox. Bruce pulled me up the ladder in 2000 when he hired me as Adjunct at Sheridan College School of Craft and Design. He keeps going and I ain't turning the lights out till he does. I remember when teaching my former wife would phone at 7:30pm and say where the hell are you?. I would answer "Bruce is still here teaching. I'll go when he does." Bruce is on fire right now making incredible work. It inspired me then and it inspires me now. I gotta find 5th gear. I got home last night pooped. This morning I ached where I used to play. I spendt the day doing life's maintenance- unload car, groceries, banking, emails etc, etc. Oh and I longed for a long bike ride and killed it with a great time in shorts and sunshine. My property provided lilacs, fiddleheads, lettuce and the amazing feeling of how lucky a man I am to have been part of an amazing gaggle of makers. As long as I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I am going to have an amazing day. Hey Bruce want to turn the lights out and go out for a bourbon?
the amazing brush of Robin Hopper
the brush and the glazes of Robin "Grass" Hopper
Grateful to all the people in my life past, present and future.

Comments

Cyndi said…
What a wonderful blog being grateful. ❤️
Anonymous said…
Why Potters Field?

A potter's field, paupers' grave or common grave is a place for the burial of unknown, unclaimed or indigent people.

Send me off in a good pit firing!

Dirty Donna

Popular Posts