Not for Cornish Hens






It seems when some people visit a pottery everything in the room has to be used for something. It can't just have a visual function!!! A woman asked if she could cook a Cornish hen in one of Sheila's boxes. I said do you really want to pay $175 for a single Cornish hen cooker? They are treasure boxes. They are to look at or to maybe keep something special in but they are not kitchen pots. At least not in our mind.
Here is how the process starts with bottomless cylinders, bowls for lids and she is always sure to roll out the slab and dry it on drywall while the thrown parts set up. These boxes are a labour of love and I'd say from start to finish are three days work so that works out to a box a day. Of course, other studio responsibilities are included but the focus is on these boxes. They mostly sell to potters or collectors of Sheila's work. Here are a couple of wood fired ones and a dry ash glazed one. Let me know if you'd like one. I gotta keep her gainfully employed so I can take up fly fishing.

Comments

Sandy Miller said…
oooo la la! things of beauty!!

cornish hen my a**!
Monique said…
amiaAdore the fist one!! Beautiful glaze!!

i've been reading and enjoying your blog (and others), hope to join you soon with mine......

Warm greetings from a dutch (beginning) potter.

Monique
Togeika said…
I had the opposite response to some casseroles in Japan. You know, they don't have an oven tradition. So women were buying my casseroles (made for the kitchen, not the mantle or dresser) for ikebana flower arranging. I always tell my customers that they are collaborators in the creative act, and what they decide to do with the pot is like the frame around a picture.
I use to do a similar thing with a shape inspired by the tea ceremony water discard bowl, that I made as a water/food bowl for Akita CLub Specialties and rescue and health research trophies and fund raising objects. I told folks, if they bought it to use in tea ceremony, it costs $150.00 but if they bought it as a dog bowl, it was $35.00

Popular Posts