Sagger Makers Bottom Knocker







Sometimes we get this ash celadon just right. This firing seemed to be dead on the money. Check out the rivulets of glaze heading south on the one vase. If we cool the kiln slower there is a nice frosty matt surface. You almost always find this in the foot ring since it is the last to cool being right on the kiln shelf. I am going to make a couple of saggers to try firing some of the pots in just to see the difference. Sheila likes the looks of the dry ash glaze better in the inside of her boxes than the outside so we figure what would a saggar do???
I once got a card from John Chalke giving an occupation in the potteries of Sagger Makers Bottom Knocker. The Brits have a different word for everything. I’m going to be a SMBK this week. I wonder if there is any money in it?

Comments

Anonymous said…
Tony,
This is no relation to the current post but...
There were a pair of mugs at ID kept telling "buy me, buy me". So I brought them home. Of course my potter hubby took a notice and did his usual inspection...right? On the bottom of each mug, reads
Pinecroft Pottery, Canada. I paid $1 each. How in the world they ended up at Logan ID?
Atsuko
gz said…
I was on a trip with Cardiff College of Art in 1975 or 6 and we visited a saggar maker's workshop in Stoke..
The SMBK did the most physical part of the job, knocking and compacting the clay for the base of the saggar. I don't think I would like the job!!
chris trabka said…
Tony, If the kiln shelf makes a difference; have you thought about surrounding the pice with a wall of clay to hold the heat next to the piece and give it an extra blanket? Chris

Popular Posts