Monday, March 22, 2010
When you work away from the school setting surrounded by minds you admire and depend upon you have to learn to be self critical. That is unless you operate a blog and you conduct a poll. I finished my water buckets yesterday and I wasn't happy with them. I thought they were too tall and I didn't like how the feet seemed to stick out to much and not be married to the bucket. So I used 6lbs of clay instead of 8lbs and made them shorter. I then decided I'd cut the foot like a chair seat to fit under the pot. Also staring at the wee picture of the Han Dynasty pot I thought hmmmmmmmmmm I should impress the top and the bottom instead of the middle. On the one you'll notice I stamped right up to the rim which slightly undulated it. I like that! This is almost like a rimless pot to me as I am accustomed to very robust and strong rims. Since the pots look like metal work I also added my defloculated slip thickly when applying the feet. I took welding as part of my MFA at USU and this slip looks like a bead I would draw with the stick welder on a good day.