Monday, January 13, 2014

Firing some handles

I made some handles to hang some teapots on. I think Dan Finnegan was present in my workshop as he made me put little eyes on the back of one of my handle columns


which made it look like a gargoyle or some kind of weird animal. Dan beats me hands down in that arm wrestle.  If ya think I started making really ugly knobs that is just a piece of clay supporting the arch of the handle. I put them together pretty soft so I had to offer some support. I troweled on some thick slip that I had hanging around. This was a slip my student Jordan Scott made for me 70% ball clay and 30% molochite. He used  25 mesh molochite so it is rather nasty for brushing but you can trowel it on with your hand up to an inch thick and it doesn't crack.  

2 comments:

Sandefur said...

I really like the teapots. Looking forward to seeing them finished.

John Bauman said...

As a practical concern, you're going to end up with some happy tea drinkers. Aside from the stunningly beautiful teapot forms you've created, I doubt I'm the only one whose ever notice that, though it might appear counter-intuitive, a substantial handle makes the pot attached to it seem ultra light.

Nice pots.