Ode to the Italian Barber Shop

The comparisons of life here in Italy with home in Canada are deep in contrast. I go to the supermarket and the persons groceries at the checkout look more nutritious than mine and I do my best. There is no Wonder Bread, frozen pizzas, processed food, chips, Coke and Kraft slices like I see at home .
I go to the bar for an espresso and the barista takes pride in the making of the perfect cappachino.  It's normally 1 Euro which is less than a cup of coffee at Mc Donalds or Tim Hortons.  It is served in a real cup and it is made with pride.  I go to the market and I see old ladies in their 80's or more riding bicycles to do the daily shopping. I see people greet each other with hugs and kisses. I see old men and old ladies walking arm in arm. Yes walking!!!!
The biggest eye opener for me was going to get my hair cut. Ok, I don't have much hair but at home I go and my hair is cut in somewhere between 3 and 5 minutes. It's 20 bucks. Yesterday I went to the barber and I had shaven in the morning- dammit! The guy next to me was getting a hot shave. Anyways I got a hair cut. The barber slipped on his barbers jacket and  spent 35 minutes cutting with scissors and a straight razor. I haven't had such a good hair cut in decades. I don't do selfies so I'll spare you the image. Pride in ones work. I'm going for a haircut and a shave before I come home. Tomorrow is March. I have been here for 2 months. The students are doing brilliant work. 3 weeks till the final show and 4 weeks till I board a plane for home. Here's to pride in one's work and I salute the Italian barber shop.

Comments

gz said…
Glad you're enjoying your time there and things are going well. It sounds a good place to be. Looks like the barber enjoys his work like you do!
Anonymous said…
Tony, for a minute I thought your hair turned white . . .

Two bits for a shave, make sure the guy with the razor isn't also in the Mafia!

Popular Posts