Embrace your weirdness

I built my first wood fired kiln 42 years ago when I was 27 years old. The next 20 years were an apprenticeship with one of the hardest task masters in my world- ME! I'd like to talk to Cyndi about the past 21 years which is when I became weird or some might think weirder. There are some events and people that were at the right place at the right time that encouraged me in ways they will never know. John Chalke/Barb Tipton that encouraged me to write and to be authentic. Writing is like making a brush mark. Sometimes it is bang on and sometimes you'd like to erase it and do it all over. The importance is making the mark. Bruce Cochrane for hiring me at Sheridan to teach production pottery. It was at Sheridan that I discovered my vocation or maybe my calling. Being part of that amazingly talented faculty had me rethink the pots I wanted to make. It was the transition from production potter to ceramic artist. Art schools can do that to you. Ron Meyers- I met Ron at Sheridan during a week long course in 2000. I was leading a wood firing and he was co teaching with Walter Ostrom. We immediately liked each other and have met for the past 21 years. The love of making marks I think I owe to Ronnie. John Neely and USU. An Mfa graduate at 58 years old. I knew the music but it was at USU that I learned the words to the song. I had landed at the right place at the right time. I wouldn't have been ready 20 years earlier. Robin "Grass" Hopper and Judi Dyelle for encouraging me to write and also to go forth and pontificate. They also warned me of burn out. I wasn't listening. COVID- What is important! What is not important! It will take the next 20 years for me to work on this. Health is important and that is my focus as I approach 3 score and 10. Last but not least my family and friends that have embraced my weirdness. I love ya! I very pleased to be interviewed by Cyndi Casemeer-Johnson from C2C Gallery in Michigan. You are invited to register for the Zoom talk on St. Paddy's Day Wednesday March. Email Cyndi and she will send you the Zoom link (c2cgallery@gmail.com)Noon EST so my sleepy heads from the Wet Coast can join us.
Man with a nice fedora!
A wall piece by John Chalke.
A small collection of Ron's work. It is in every room of my house. I never tire of his work. It makes me feel good.

Comments

RichardA said…
I will be there, T. It will be nice to hear someone else talk for a change. Looking forward to a weird embrace!! Take care.
Anonymous said…
I was watching the Great Pottery Throwdown on TV last night, they always start of the program with the warning, This show may contain violence, nudity, coarse language and sexual content.
It always peaks my interest, yet I haven't seen any in any of the episodes I've watched so far. May be a little innuendo when they are pulling handles, that's a dirty business.
But what disclaimer are you planning for your interview?
Tony Clennell said…
RichardA Now I'm nervous! Best, T

Popular Posts