All or nuthin'!

I've just added another wheel to my wheel quiver. In my perfect world I'd have two more- a treadle wheel for cups and a Lockerbie kick wheel for trimming. I have endorsed the Skutt wheel for many number of reasons but mostly for the big splash pan and the ease to remove the wheel head to dump the trimmings and clean the splash pan. My new used ride is a Soldner which I love for the fact it has no splash pan. It has a guard at the back to keep your private parts from getting soiled. I just put a big sponge against my water bucket to keep the slurry from going all over the deck. At Sheridan School of Craft and Design the students weren't allowed to use splash pans. 15 students lining up to clean those silly Shimpo splash pans can fill a clay trap in a hurry. I love the table top of the Soldner. You have a place for your tools, your water and your balls of clay. It also may have the best foot pedal on the market. I'm getting ready for two shows in the next couple of months. The first show is with two of my former Sheridan students Amber Zuber MA London College of Art and Janet MacPherson MFA Ohio University. What excites me about showing with these two makers is that they are so different than me. I taught them throwing but neither are throwers. It is comforting to know people go out on their own and don't try to be you or the next edition of Ceramics Monthly. The show is at Ambers property in Normandale (Turkey Point) on Saturday November 19th. This is probably the most beautiful studio and property in Southern Ontario. Burning Kiln winery is just down the road. The second show is at Fairweather Brewing Company in Hamilton on Saturday December 3rd. It is such a priviledge to be showing with some of my favourite makers. Drop by and I'll buy you a beer. This show is organized by two of my pals and damn fine makers- Mr. K Andrew Kellner and Heather Dynes Smit. You can expect nothing but the best when these two are at the helm. PS: “It is, after all, the dab of grit that seeps into an oyster’s shell that makes the pearl, not pearl-making seminars with other oysters.” (Stephen King)

Comments

Tom WIrt said…
Hey old man. I just read your blog, Well most of it. I have here your Treadle. It's an original Woodley, mahogany and Teak. Not used too much. Broutht here, US, in the 80's by Warren as he set up the Minnetonka Art Center along with 5 others. Basically there they were covered with plywood and used as tables. I'm retiring, and if you were serious, I'd start teaching it how to say "eh". newclay@nutelecom.net.
Anonymous said…
Please note that a new batch of Ten McMeekin Wheels are under production. Please pre-order to secure on of these wheels.

I designed this wheel in 1963, after watching Hamada throwing with such peace and enjoyment on his stick wheel, and saw the beautiful control available through the slowly turning wheel head.

‘I felt I was pursuing the sensation of sailing along on the momentum of a fairly heavy wheel – something like catching a wave in the surf.

‘I feel we should regard our wheels as instruments rather than machines, much as a musician regards their instrument.’

http://www.tkjceramics.com/the-mcmeekin-wheel.html
Tony Clennell said…
Tom: You retire and I just get tired. Hey man I would love that wheel. Not sure it would fit in my Toyota Matrix. Let's talk maybe a road trip is in order. Best older old man. Tony
gz said…
An interesting selection of wheels.
I just have two kick wheels, a Woodley Leach Wheel and a Saviac wheel...not the original but the wooden Podmore version.
I like the meaning of Saviac...Searching for Values in an Age of Crisis....quite apt for these present times
Anonymous said…
VEVOR Mini Pottery Wheel, 30W 0-2000 RPM Ceramic Wheel, Adjustable Speed DIY Clay Machines, Electric Sculpting Kits with 3 Turntables Trays and Tools for Art Craft Work Molding Gift and Home DIY

$68.99

https://www.vevor.ca/pottery-wheel-c_11146/

Popular Posts