Place

I've been thinking about writing about place as it affects our work. I've travelled to some wonderful places in this career all of which I could fall in love with. Does the geography of the location enter into your work? Are you deprived of the view of a beautiful geography when you work in your basement along side the washer and dryer? Would my work be waaaaaaay more magical if I stared out at the ocean or a beautiful hillside vista over looking my much loved Grey Highlands. Here's my conclusion: The heart of every accomplishment is imagination. I have visited these beautiful places and it is up to me to imagine Mother Nature in my work. Looking at her at her very best might just shut me down. I can't equal that. She is the best! I'm almost sure some of the best work being made is in an industrial building in downtown Toronto, Hamilton
this is Amish country where I live or Buffalo. It is being made by creative people with imaginations. Some of the best pots I've ever seen were fired in the ugliest kilns. Some of the worst pots I've ever seen were fired in state of the Art beautiful kilns. Some of the best pots I've ever seen were made in ram shackle potteries and some of the worst have been in pristine studios with to die for views. It's the maker not the place. "The heart of every accomplishment is imagination".
Beautiful Portugal Fisherman's Trail
Star NC
Joe Batt's Arm Fogo Island Nfld

Comments

Anonymous said…
Looking for inspiration, then check out Dogs Nest, Ontario.

https://lfpress.com/news/local-news/everybody-howl-for-dogs-nest

https://www.simcoereformer.ca/news/local-news/dogs-nest-rebounds-from-obscurity

Anonymous said…
I wandered everywhere, through cities and countries wide. And everywhere I went, the world was on my side.

― Roman --
Anonymous said…
Sometimes when you lose your way, you find YOURSELF.

Popular Posts