Trying to fall in love again!

I won't have fired the Pinecroft wood kiln this year. 45 firings over 8 years and this year nadda! I'm trying to fall in love with my gas kiln which is so much easier to prepare for, load and fire. Somehow though I miss the serendipity of the woodie. I also miss my buds, big time! So like the surfaces of our pots we have to build in the serendipity- the unexpected! Lucky for me I have a smallish 12 cubic foot gas kiln. It's still a gamble but you won't loose the farm. I fired the kiln in heavy reduction for an hour at Cone 012 and then medium reduction to Cone 11. Then instead of just shutting down I dropped it quick to 1900F but kept the pilots on. I then clammed up except for the damper being open an inch and down fired with the pilots to 1600F. I didn't know what to expect but I'm pleasantly surprised and motivated to do it again. The carbon trapping was beautiful and the birefringement( lusterous gold) was amazing. Not sure whether this is a version of striking or down firing. I needed to fall in love again. I'm once again excited to go to the studio and I have a direction. Gee I even swept, mopped the studio and cleaned out the clay trap- peeyou!. I moved my Bose speaker down there and I'm ready to rock and roll. I'm a couple of months away from visiting my buds in the Deep South. Really excited to be presenting a workshop with Captain Brian Nettles in Mississippi. Let the good times roll!

Comments

Anonymous said…
If in doubt add more and bigger handles.
Anonymous said…
Nothing is original. Steal from anywhere that resonates with inspiration or fuels your imagination. Devour old films, new films, music, books, paintings, photographs, poems, dreams, random conversations, architecture, bridges, street signs, trees, clouds, bodies of water, light and shadows. Select only things to steal from that speak directly to your soul. If you do this, your work (and theft) will be authentic. Authenticity is invaluable; originality is non-existent. And don’t bother concealing your thievery - celebrate it if you feel like it. In any case, always remember what Jean-Luc Godard said: “It’s not where you take things from - it’s where you take them to."

Jim
Anonymous said…
There is a fountain of youth: it is your mind, your talents, the creativity you bring to your life and the lives of people you love. When you learn to tap this source, you will truly have defeated age.

Sophia
Tony Clennell said…
Jim and Sophia: Thank you for wisdom in your words. T
Anonymous said…
I wasn't exactly sure when it happened. Or even when it started. All I knew for sure was that right here and now, I was falling hard and I could only pray that the pottery was feeling the same way.
― Nicholas S
Anonymous said…
First best is falling in love. Second best is being in love. Least best is falling out of love. But any of it is better than never having been in love.
* M A
Anonymous said…
Love is patient.
Love is kind.
Love is here.

Have you checked out on-line dating?

https://www.christianmingle.com/en-us

Sophia
Anonymous said…
Doe Ye Nexte Thynge

it is intended as inspiration, encouragement or instruction to keep busy and get on with life, whatever challenges you encounter.
JZ said…
What happened to Lousie?

Popular Posts