Oyster Making Seminars

“It is, after all, the dab of grit that seeps into an oyster’s shell that makes the pearl, not pearl-making seminars with other oysters.” (Stephen King). I'm all for pearl-making seminars provided the participants go home and do their homework. That means imitating and then innovating. Pearl making seminar after pearl making seminar for years and years won't develop a signature of your own. My old buddy Robin "Grass" Hopper said it takes 7 years to learn the skills of being a potter and then another 10 years to develop a signature in your work. BTW that doesn't mean 17 years of 3 hours a week at the local clay studio. You know what it means.
I revisited some two piece cups I made when working with earthenware. They take twice as much time but I like the articulation that I can get without trimming my brains out. Why take the time to make two piece cups? Cups are the most personal objects that we make. If you make a cup a person choses every morning you have put your business card in their hands. I love cups and am pretty fussy about the ones I use. Tomorrow when I put them together I will try some poking and altering. The e-ware ones are a bit too straight up but at the time they were a canvas for multi coloured low temp glazes. More on the oyster making seminars. Nothing beats a good teacher live in person. U-tube gives ya some goods but a real live teacher makes the goods come alive. Hands on workshops are the best. When you are in a room with a teacher that has done something no less than 10,000 times he/she can give ya that ah ha moment. Keep diving for pearls!

Comments

JZ said…
Finally an ad about you!
Anonymous said…
Some pearls are worth diving for, the best are natural pearls, then the next best are cultivated pearls, then you come across some plastic beads, some candy necklaces and some real duds in those 3 hour a week classes. It's hard to find real gems, but when you do it really is worth taking more classes with that pearl of a teacher.

Pottery student in search of a teacher.
Anonymous said…
“Good pots require the ardor of vocation and the devotion of a lifetime”. Bernard Leach
Tony Clennell said…
Boy Anonymous I could be your teacher. Send me your email we'll find a way to connect. I like your attitude and philosophy. I may steal it. Best, T
Anonymous said…
Are you the pearl, or the grain of irritating sand that is the genesis of the pearl?
Either way you are an interesting character.

CC
Anonymous said…
The worst ceramics class I have ever taken was on a friday night, it was like one long sorority bachelorette party. Was it ceramics education or ceramics entertainment (edutainment)? All they worried about was chipping their long nails, nothing spoiled the class more than a manicure tragedy. Beware the friday night ceramics class, oh the horror, the horror.
Anonymous said…
Who is your teacher? Or you above all that now?

Popular Posts