Harvest Moon


It's harvest time in Niagara. Grapes that were once hand picked are now fingered by a large million dollar tractor. Farming and pottery share a lot of similarities. Who cares that the grapes are bruised and mechanically picked? Who cares that pots are made by hand? Who cares that the Windsor chair that I sit in each morning was made by hand on a treadle lathe and no glue was used? I remain one that still cares. I also care that my neighbour Dr. Pumpkin still has the honour system of payment at his squash and pumpkin booth. That was the norm here for decades and decades. A jar with a slot in the lid was the cash register of rural Niagara. Look at these little gourds that Dr. P gave me for Sheila's harvest display in the showroom. How do you compete with Mr. Nature? Seems like a blog full of questions, today. I wonder what's on my mind? Ooopss that was another question. I lost another friend this week. Bob Rix was a fellow teacher that had a HUGE influence on my teaching style. Bob taught me to relax and enjoy the students and the process. I am in mourning today.

Comments

Owen said…
Fortunately Tony there are still some customers who care enough to buy handmade goods. I like you, and most if not all of your readers care that some of the things we have in our possession are handmade.

I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of your friend. This is a tough week for you on that front for sure - sending you good vibes from Oregon.
Trish said…
Tony..sending you good vibes from Alberta. It is interesting that I read your blog tonight as I just came home from the funeral of an uncle of mine..This is the second of my uncles to pass away this year - the second brother that my 88 year mother has lost this year, and she is not the oldest of nine children.This is a family who grew up on a farm, who knows hard work and the value of the dollar and life..who still call each other 'the kids' and who love the large gatherings (even at a funeral) and I am proud to say that most of us of the next generation still take the time to attend reunions and funerals. I am reminded again today of the value of family, of homemade sandwiches and squares at the funeral, of stories of fathers and sons spending time together to fix farm equipment and old trucks so the harvest could be completed, and the women who created HUGE 'meat and potatoe' meals and took them to the fields to feed the men.
I care too. T.
gz said…
Wishing you well from Wales.

I went to see the Exhibition of the Casson family's collection of Mick Casson's pots.
Seven years gone and we all miss him still, though his work still sends us back to the workshop re-inspired.

Popular Posts