Hair on my muffin!


Andrew and Victoria visited The Cactus Lounge last night. The rumours were rampant this summer in my small town because I had this young guy living with me for the summer. We fed the neighbours curiosity by calling each other muffin, sweet pea or honey bunny. The rumours got even more juicey when an Asian woman ( Victoria his wife) moved in and mowed the lawn. Even better still when for a wood firing 6 women would arrive at my house and stay over. Then because a man’s work is never done it is often the case that I have to work into the night so the lights are on in my basement studio called “ The Dirty Low Down”. How come he is gone for extended lengths of time?  So the neighbours are confused. Is he gay? Does he deal in illegal immigration? Does he run a brothel? Is that a grow op we have in the neighbourhood.  I like to stoke the fire so I feed it liberally. I think one of the advantages of age is that you stop caring what others think.

It was great to have Andrew and Victoria here for a Christmas visit. Andrew is now half way thru his MFA at West Virginia University. He is looking a bit like a mountain man with his full beard and plaid shirt. I’ll get worried if he takes up the banjo.

Comments

Dennis Allen said…
Always keep them guessing. What else is there to talk about in a small town? Do all the kids cross over to the other side of the road when they go past your place?
Unknown said…
Hey! Happy new year! Do you guys still have a studio in Beamsvill I'm in town and would love to see your latest work.
Unknown said…
Hey! Happy new year! Do you guys still have a studio in Beamsvill I'm in town and would love to see your latest work.
smokieclennell said…
Jody: Nope we is I. I have a studio in Aylmer Ontario. Come visit anytime. Best, T
Unknown said…
Tony I'll be sure to do that when I'm out that way! All the best for 2016 and thanks for your beautiful work - it gives me joy every time I use it.
cookingwithgas said…
I do love a good guessing game. We've finally been here long enough that the neighbors have moved on to others.
Mark Fitzgerald said…
Tony,
I think you're a Tom Waits fan? If not, you should be. A tune on his "Mule Variations" album called "What's He Building?" sounds like what your neighbors are singing about you.
Mark F
smokieclennell said…
Mark: I am definitely a Tom Waits fan. The sign under the Cactus Lounge reads "looking for the heart of Saturday night" a Tom Waits song. T

Popular Posts