I like me!





Hey Doc I’m surrounded by my own pots. All my friends are in the closet. I put them away to make room for me in the living room. I jumped out of bed this morning in a panic that my friends were imprisoned and that they couldn’t breathe. I opened the closet doors, made a coffee, pulled up a chair and sat beside them in a sleepy state. I apologized profusely and assured them their prison sentence would soon be over.  Doc criticised me for never using my own work and loving the company of all my pottery friends instead. He said I needed to practice more self love. Holy shit everywhere I turn in my room I’m staring back at myself and talking to myself. I must admit though there are some really frickin’ nice pots in the room. It has been a year of travel and transition. I have pots with vinyl resist, brush work, gnar gnar, thick slip application, puncheong stamping,  hand built pots, loose pots, tightly thrown pots, crazy handled pots,  wood fired pots, gas fired pots  and now I got the da blues. What I feel best about is that they are me at a certain time, then I changed and they changed.  They are me!.  Much love to all the makers past, present and future.  U are my world! I live in my own world but they know me here!

Comments

Unknown said…
Tony, I've so enjoyed your posts on clay art thru the years. Your self effacing politically incorrect humor is refreshing! it's been about ten years since I took up this venerable pastime and with you and Mel and Howard And others it's been wonderful! I even hung one of your "get a handle on it" posters in the local high school pottery class. Thanks Smoky! Judy Yamaguchi
smokieclennell said…
thx Judy- I haven't been on Clayart for a number of years. It was good when it was good. Got too right wing PC for me. Always posted something and wondered what the hell I had said wrong. Prefer being on FB and with my blog. I don't compromise my work and that means clay and writing. Own your narrative! Best, T
Dennis Allen said…
Have a sell out weekend.
Unknown said…
hi tony
Well I'd love to have you as a friend on FB but I'm afraid I'm one of those right wingers...but my friends are mostly not. I have Phil Poburka as a friend and he's pretty tolerant. I was worried that some jerk had made you feel unwelcome...Take care
Judy from the land of fruits and nuts lol (northern Cal)...
Dennis Allen said…
Hey, I always use my own stuff, someone should.
smartcat said…
Toes crossed that your house is empty at sale's end so the friends can get out of jail!

I come from a family of politically incorrect and very dark humor, which I rarely share! Go for it!

Deniss's last comment should be on a Tshirt!

Popular Posts