Holier than though.

I've got 2 months of play as an Artist in Residence at Starworks. I feel like a kid again. I'm riding my banana seat bicycle with hockey cards flapping in the spokes. I have a package of Popeye cigarettes in my front pocket and I'm smoking a a big fat black liquorice cigar. Damn, it's tasty.
So in reality I have my head phones on listening to Hawksley Workman. Nobody is calling me. Nobody really asked for anything I am making or are about to make. I have 25 soup bowls to make but I'm  putting them off since I got a funny feeling going on here in the studio.
A residency is about deepening your well. It's about stepping out of your comfort zone. I'm comfortable with what I'm making. It is all been done before for sure but I'm poking and prodding more. Who'd a thunk of putting holes in the handle or the foot ring?  I guess if I get someone to ask why did you put holes in the foot ring then I have at least got their attention.  The Rebecca pitcher is very popular in these parts so maybe this will be my "Holier than though" pitcher.
I am smack dab in the middle of the Bible Belt. I feel the influence already. I'm switching to red wine.
Tomorrow I plan to blend some Beaver Pond clay with the Starworks White 50/50. Hopefully it will be throwable/turnable by Friday.
Thinking of my Canadian friends today. I put pots outside to set up. I am liking this Starworks Coarse as it doesn't need to babied like the Dark Star did.





Comments

Popular Posts