In with the old , out with the new

First day of 2020 and Elvis is in the building.
In my studio at Starworks I have the luxury of an electric wheel and a good ole Lockerbie kick wheel.
I have started every making cycle for the past 40 years with the making of my roundie cups. I'll stamp  torture, trim and handle them tomorrow.
The Lockerbie reminds me of my first car- a 1956 Chevy. When it didn't start I hit the starter with a hammer and sometimes I would have take the breather off to hold the choke open. I knew where they were and how to fix them. Kicking and hitting things has mostly worked for me as a handyman chainsaw carpenter.
Check out the innards of a Shimpo Whisper. Who the hell would know where to start.? It ain't even got a motor. I know there are a lot of them out there but me I prefer my Thomas Stuart (Skutt) wheel. It's a bit more money but someone in Mytown would know how to fix an electric motor should there be a problem.
Kicking cups is also a very nice way to settle into a making cycle. It's repetitive , quiet except for the shoe hitting the wheel and there is a nice long breath as the wheel slows and the clay rises.
I'm using the Starworks White Coarse. Boy is this a beautiful clay to work with. If you have never thrown filter pressed clay you haven't lived. Even the fullness of my roundies seems to have more volume.
I rolled out a slab to begin a hand built candelabra. I'll let it sit between two pieces of drywall overnight so I should be able to work on it tomorrow.
Really nice to be back amongst my friends here at Starworks. They are terrific!
Lockerbie's are built like tanks.

- Road kill!

Comments

claylady said…
Tony
Was wondering if you could/would be able to give us that didn't make the cut for workshop, some of the criteria you used when making your selections? I feel it would be helpful to know how I came up short. Not questioning your judgement, just trying to decide how I can do it better next time.

Many thanks
Linda Sickmon
smokieclennell said…
Linda Ya did get in . There was a mix up. We thought you were Christine Gilbert. Congrats and we'll see you in March. T
Anonymous said…
Funny I hated my Thomas Stewart wheels. Had their motorized kick wheel and electric model. Like the Ladas of potters wheels. Got rid of them both. Had an old estrin, but couldn’t get parts anymore so found a Lockerbie. Found two old Soldners from the 70s. They run like tops.. smooth, great torque, and great at low speeds. Had to replace a few parts on the second one after I found it but could buy all the parts off the shelf and fix it myself; no proprietary nonsense.
auntducs said…
We are co-op gallery of 120 artists in a small but cool artsy town in Southport, North Carolina. We are looking for an artist that would judge and instruct a workshop for our Spring Show. Dates are February 21-22, Workshop; Feb. 23 am Judging

We have Stacy Morgan doing our Summer show judging and workshop and she and Tim See suggested I contact you

We had a last minute cancellation and THIS IS AN URGENT ASK AS OUR PROSPECTUS NEEDS TO PUBLICIZED BY FEBRUARY 8, THIS WEDNESDAY…YIKES, HELP, Yikes!

Last year Lisa & Alex LaPella, previous years Shane Mickey came to our Franklin Square Gallery. I’m attaching our Facebook and website links so you can see what we are about.

Perhaps this would be a fun treat for us all. A weekend at the beach and meeting a nutty, fun group of artists!..

https://www.facebook.com/franklinsquaregallery

http://www.franklinsquaregallery.com/
smokieclennell said…
Dear Aunt Ducs: I'm interested in artsy towns and nutty fun artists. Please send details tony.clennell@gmail.com
Tony

Popular Posts