Born and not made!

Well we are at the end of Week #1 and the class is already on the schedule for  week  #3
Jugs by an Italian handle show off

Looks like Beth Cavener Stichter landed here.

Some say I married clay- should I propose?

Peeping Tom

I think we all feel high right about now.

If that big knob was trimmed more aggressively I 'd think Mr. K had been here!
. I am fortunate to have Franco Rampi as my assistant. He is an amazingly patient and conscientious teacher. He is doing a brilliant job of preparing the students for moi!.
Wall thickness, thinness and symmetry are far from what my work has been about for the past decade or so. I do think you need to be able to do it and thank you Franco for your discipline.
You are setting them up for me. They may or may not be ready to receive what I offer. Pulling up a cylinder with thin even walls seems to be a high for them all at this time. It's a high for me too! Franco is putting them thru the drills that will allow them to forget about the steps and allow their pots to be born and not made. Maybe this is too much to expect from a 12 week course but I expect it!.
I can already see that some can see and some will need stronger glasses.  I have always wondered if you can teach people to see? I started to need glasses when I was 42. That was also 16 years of having a full time studio. I tell them it takes 7 years to learn to make pots and another 10 years to develop a signature.  I think my signature started to take shape when I got my first pair of glasses.
Seeing is everywhere here at La Meridiana. Here is only a small number of the clay objects in the garden.

Comments

Anonymous said…
As D.P. said "you can lead a whore to culture, but you can't make her think".

Popular Posts