The smell of blood

I had two students email me last night saying their hands were bleeding from all the throwing we've doing. A shark has a keen smell of blood and I believe I just might be on the right track with this group.
The course description reads like Boot Camp but this Lance Sergeant will have them move clay and put their hearts and souls into the work. A labourer works with her/his hands, a craftsperson their hands and their heads, an artist with their hands, heads and hearts. My goal here is to teach skills that will take this group farther than they ever imagined in 3 months.
Susie our drawing instructor in Italian that I could only interpret thru her body language, her eyes and  the passion in her voice was you must reach inside of your soul to make art.
You want to make something that has expression you must express what is inside you.
An interesting comment from Jens Thomsen a student from Denmark today- "I've learned in this time with you here at La Meridiana is
Jens finishs a Etruscan bowl.
 that symmetry bores me." This from a executive chemical engineer is really quite something.  Jens has taken to darting clay like a duck takes to water. The advantage of the sectional throwing process is the ability to articulate forms without trimming your brains out then when you include darting you get some very animated forms.
.

Comments

smartcat said…
Cool stuff, Tony!
Sounds like you are taking clay camp to the next level!
Anonymous said…
Naw, it's when their fingers are just stubs that the fun begins!
Yes, symmertry so easily becomes an obsession/addiction...it should be illegal ;-) Thanks for inspiring me to put more life into my work!

Popular Posts