Isolation as privilege

Not sure if I am more boring than ever but it seems that y'all have more time on your hands and ain't reading me.
Today I am a couple of days out of isolation. How privileged I am to have a home to come back to and isolate myself. My thoughts go out to the people that don't own homes, live in homeless shelters, on the streets and those migrant workers that are being sent here to Canada to work the fields that we won't stoop to do. Yes, stoop labour is bending down and planting and picking food for Canadians. Work that we Canadians won't do. Jamaicans and Mexicans will leave their families thousands of kilometres away to come to work our crops and send money home to their loved ones. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
We potters are generally an over educated bunch of spoiled artists. We moan and groan that we make substandard wages. We have university degrees and spend our days making art. Many potters have beautiful homes, flower and vegetable gardens, spend time reading, walking and living the good life. So much to bitch about.
Look at me for instance - Tony Clennell B.Comm, B.Ed, MFA, RCA. What the hell does a potter need this pile of letters for???? Over educated, privileged, white guy living the life. A big thank you to all of you on the front lines making sure I have food. To the truck drivers, the cashiers, the health care workers I send my love. T.

Comments

zed said…
I read whenever you post on your blog and always enjoy your well-stated thoughts. It's my daily dose of irreverence plus the joy of creating.
claylady said…
Look forward everyday to your blog here in the cornfields. Always food for thought and laughter.
smartcat said…
Well said!
I read your blog whenever you post.
Keep it up for s old die-hards!
Marcus L. Davis said…
Thanks Tony. This is something that needs to be said over and over.
Anonymous said…
TOArtist COVID-19 Response Fund

Toronto will overcome COVID-19 - let’s make sure our artists share in the recovery

To help the city’s artists who have lost performance income as a result of COVID-19, Toronto Arts Foundation is partnering with Toronto Arts Council to create the TOArtist COVID-19 Response Fund.

https://torontoartsfoundation.org/toartistresponse

Applications will be accepted any time between March 23 and 11:59pm on April 30.

https://torontoartscouncil.org/grant-programs/toartist-covid-response-fund

Please share widely and help get the word out to individual artists in need. They can apply up to $2000 dollars for lost income.
DebVZ said…
Follow your blog religiously, so course I checked on Easter. Keep posting! BTW...how does one go about purchasing your work from the states?
Tony Clennell said…
Deb: There are a couple of stores here in Ontario that have my work on their websites. The General in Almonte. Black and Smith Country General in Smithville and The Store in Hamilton. I am hoping and praying I will be able to fire the bisque I brought home from Star within a month or so. I would like to have a virtual sale. This winter's work really loosened up for me. Thank you for your interest. T

Anonymous said…
Do you deliver by drone?

Popular Posts