Clay Capital of Canada

The weekend of May 5,6, 7th will be a mud fest in the Capital of Ceramics in Canada. There are three shows going on that weekend with well over 100 potters. The Hamilton Potters Guilds annual spring sale which is a huge success for over 100 potters. HPG has 300 members no bricks and mortar and so consequently they turn the profits from the sale into education for it's members. You may want to sit down while I tell you that their sales often top $250,000. HPG probably has the largest number of professional potters in Canada. Their mandate is education of it's members and the community and they have a long history of doing exactly that. As well just down the road at The Carnegie Gallery is an exciting two woman show of Darlene Pratt and Andrea Vuletin. I am sure to visit this show as I hear there has been quite the change in the work of bug and butterfly clay artist extraordinaire Andrea Vuletin and the work of Darlene Pratt has broken out of it's chrysalis. Very exciting to see old become new again (the work not the makers). Then of course there is The Invitational Show Ash and Barrel at Fairweather Brewery that I am so grateful to be a part of. There are 18 of us in the setting of a fabulous warehouse of beer barrels. I can't wait to see the work that my peeps have been up to. I can honestly say that the best ceramics I have seen in my history as a potter is being made today. Be prepared to be blown away at each venue.

Comments

Popular Posts