The forces of evil

People have been worshipping their Gods for thousands of years. Potters even go so far as to make Kiln Gods to bless their firings. This little devil made by Dog Bite Steel has looked over my firings for the past 25 years. Since I fire in heavy reduction with carbon and soot who better than the devil to help me out with a kiln. When I rise early in the morning to start the burners I talk to my little burning bush. Good morning Burning Bush and good morning Charlie Daniels( that's his preferred name rather than little devil). The bush told me to expect at least a week of heavy rain so instead of gathering all the critters on the planet and building a boat I went to the Liquor store to make sure I had some medicine in case of a water snake bite. I also stocked up on wine since I'm not sure of my abilities to turn water into wine.
Is there a relationship between worship and fear? To worship for a reward seems so wrong. But here I am with a little metal devil tending my kiln while I write this. I'm hoping to be rewarded with a nice firing. It's kind of comforting that he is there and I always acknowledge his presence as I spark the kiln. Superstition has something to do with this ritual of mine. It's like the baseball players lucky underwear or socks. Science would not be able to prove the underwear or socks had anything to do with the winning outcome or the players beliefs in the magic of his underwear. Hey if this is a killer firing I'm wearing these Saxx black underwear with pink band and bicycles on them for the next one. Had supper with Ron tonight. He wasn't physically present but I felt his presence. Explain that! He calls these candle sticks The Usual Suspects. I call mine The Devils Drunken Orgy. I waited several years for this piece. I think it may very well be my favourite. Tomorrow I'm going to sleep in the belly of a whale. I need a good weeks rest.
I'll let you look up what WC Fields said about water. I might get kicked outta class.

Comments

Anonymous said…
In the United States, ceramists view the making of kiln gods as playful

enactments of lost ancient rituals involving demi-god kiln protectors;

In China, at kiln sites and special temples, they are actually worshiped!

Martie
Anonymous said…
"Potters, if you give me a reward, I will sing for you. Come, then, Athena [goddess of pottery], with hand upraised over the kiln. Let the pots and all the dishes turn out well and be well fired: let them fetch good prices and be sold in plenty in the market. Grant that the potters may get great gain and grant me so to sing to them. But if you turn shameless and make false promises, then I call together the destroyers of kilns, Suntribos (Shatter) and Smaragon (Smash) and Asbetos (Charr) and Sabaktes (Crash) and Omodamos (Crudebake) who can work this craft much mischief. Come all of you and sack the kiln-yard and the buildings: let the whole kiln be shaken up to the potter's loud lament. As a horse's jaw grinds, so let the kiln grind to powder all the pots inside."



You thought it was a joke, about the kiln gods! Not only did the Greeks acknowledge Athena as the Goddess of Craft, there were five, count 'em, FIVE demons who existed solely to torment potters: Suntribos (the Shatterer), Smaragos (the Smasher), Asbetos (Charrer), Sabaktes (Destroyer) and Omodamos (Crudebake). These are the Daimones Keramikoi: fear them.

BC

Popular Posts