Imitate and then Innovate

This comment hit a hot button with me. It was an unsolicited comment on a friends work on Instagram. I have been a blogger since 2007 so I am used to critics of my pots, my writing and my life's philosophy. Maybe I have developed a thick skin or a don't give a shit attitude. No, it still stings. "Hm.. "never suck from the breast of someone else's creativity" It's better to use the techniques you've learned from your mentor and put them into your own forms with your own imagery." Who gives a person the right to make such a comment publicly. Is it grand standing? Is it insecurity? Is it jealousy? Social media has turned everyone into a critic. When someone puts a pic of their pot on Instagram they do it because they are proud of it! If you don't care for it move on to the next pic. Always be kind if you have something to say. Anyone that has been in clay as long as I have know that it takes time to develop your own signature. As a potter that has presented probably hundreds of workshops in many countries around the world I know that people come to learn how you do what you do. I tell them to imitate me and then innovate. The innovation will take years maybe a decade or two. I go back almost 40 years to the pots of Mick Casson. I studied with Mick one summer in Wales and on return to Canada made probably the worst look alike pots of Micks for a few years. I now think I make pots that still reference Mick but are mine.
Here are two of my proteges Jen Drysdale and Andrew Kellner. They are part of my lineage, my family tree, my part of the history of Ceramics in Ontario, Canada.
People that know my work and know my association with Jen and Andrew can see the reference. I am very proud of their work and my small part in their development. Sometimes I look at their work and think holy shitzkie their work has left mine in the dust. A good teacher develops excellent students. Even my beloved daughter Robin who has the best taste in Ceramics I know collects Jen and Andrew and she gets the ones of mine that didn't sell which are usually the best ones. Always try to be kind. Lots of love, T

Comments

Anonymous said…
De mortuis nil nisi bonum dicendum est.

BB
smartcat said…
Well said, Tony.
Many, many years ago I was taking a workshop when the instructor said, "Copy me, but do it better."
smokieclennell said…
Smartcat: That is the sign of a confident teacher that wants your work to grow past theirs. I love that!
Anonymous said…
Creativity comes from trust. Trust your instincts. And never hope more than you work.

I think it is necessary to sit down and work for years and years to get it right. I think that’s the main thing, that’s what the emphasis has got to be on: individual work.

sally.
Anonymous said…
There are four kinds of people to avoid in the world: the assholes, the asswipes, the ass-kissers, and those that just will shit all over you.


Anthony
Anonymous said…
It's true that there are people who live the idea of being a ceramic artist, as opposed to the idea of making pottery. — Daniel
Anonymous said…
Pigpen, you're the only person I know who can raise a cloud of dust in the snowstorm.

Charlie Brown

Anonymous said…
Send in the Clones!

zizi.
Anonymous said…
If you choose to be fearless, then be fearlessly authentic not an imitation of someone you envy.

Shannon
Joseph Panacci said…
When I started pottery 40+ years ago. Harlen said to me, "Take what I have learned and you improve upon it." I'm still trying to improve day by day.
Anonymous said…
https://www.harlanhouse.com/

Harlan House is a potter

https://www.harlanhouse.com/category/harlan-house-blog/

https://www.facebook.com/hhporcelain/

fanboy

Anonymous said…
Celebrate in style while you watch the Coronation.

https://shop.nationalarchives.gov.uk/collections/coronation-of-king-charles-iii
Anonymous said…
THE BEST POTTER IN CANADA!

https://bestpotterincanada.castingcrane.com/

Any idea who the host/mentor of the show is going to be?

Is it you TC?

clay cub.
Anonymous said…
It’s not where you take things from - it’s where you take them to.

Jean-Luc
Anonymous said…
Imitation is not just the sincerest form of flattery - it's the sincerest form of learning.

I've been imitating and copying my whole pottery career, thanks everybody for supplying me with great ideas.

Joanne F.
Anonymous said…
Monkey see, monkey do. Human being don’t see, human being don’t do.

**Moko**
Anonymous said…
You should make what you like to make.
The potter/ceramicist should follow the integrity of his own imagination and own vision.

Arthur A.
Anonymous said…
Don't get caught!
Anonymous said…
As is often the case with children, the rule of 'monkey see, monkey do' plays out in the workplace. It's hard to be good role model, and it's one of the greatest challenges of leadership. — Lee

Popular Posts