Discipline or Obsession

I've been pondering the question "discipline or obsession". Here is a pic of the wheel I learned on and still use to demo pots to newbies. It has two speeds "on and off". It was built in 1947 for my Uncle Jimmie. You have to commit to making something. There is no hmmm I think I'll pause for a bit and let the clay tell me what it wants me to do.
So I've been wondering if for the past 40 years I have been driven by the discipline my Uncle jimmie instilled in me or whether it has been an obsession? My cousin Brenda and I could easily throw 100 mugs in the morning and did for many years. A talk with her this aft revealed she no longer feels compelled. Is it age, is it a new awakening? We've both slowed down. On the topic I had my friend Christine Torres here for supper last night. Christine started running 5k, then did 10K then thought ok I should do a half marathon. Then she decided to do a marathon and thought that was easy how about 60k, then 80 then 100miles!!!!! She would be running thru the woods with a head lamp in the dark half lost, exhausted, with no sleep for 24 hours. Why???? Christines answer" I just wanted to prove the self doubting girl in me she was wrong!" She also thinks insanity runs in her family. I think she is amazing made of the stuff it takes to survive in the art world.
Now I'm kinda obsessed or disciplined to ride my bike each day. It makes me feel healthy and good. Last year I rode 5500K and that had an interuption of 3 months in Portugal and a month on Fogo Island. I would like to clock more miles this year. Obsession or discipline?

Comments

Anonymous said…
Prediction: WWIII in 2023
Craig Hamilton-Parker, the "New Nostradamus" from Britain, foresees a Third World War in 2023.
The war would start in Taiwan
He foresees an unintended conflict in Taiwan that will have devastating consequences for the entire world. The United States is currently Taiwan's ally while China is at odds with the territory.
Conflict between China and Russia vs USA
China and Russia already experienced tensions with the USA, and these would escalate after this clash over Taiwan.
Anonymous said…
Better enjoy those great bike rides, and the good times while it lasts, the end is nigh!

Buttercup.
Anonymous said…
You never will be the person you can be if pressure, tension and discipline are taken out of your life.

James
Anonymous said…
You will never be successful until you have a plan, and the discipline and determination to go through with that plan.

JW.
Anonymous said…
How we spend our days is of course how we spend our lives. Annie
Anonymous said…
The Donn Zver School of Pottery works to advance and encourage the art of Pottery in the Province of Ontario. We encourage this goal through making, training, teaching, encouraging, and inspiring people to develop their skills in the art of Pottery making.

https://www.donnzverschoolofpottery.com/

Cynthia Bringle workshops

https://www.donnzverschoolofpottery.com/cynthia-bringle-workshops

Anonymous said…
Without obsession, life is nothing.

John

Popular Posts