Holy Fornicate!!!

I don't like to mess around with little quantities of glaze. Glazing a bigger pot in a small bucket of glaze is time consuming and messy. I use just a few glazes and like to make a garbage pal full of glaze which is usually 30,000 grams or for those of you in the less advanced world the US, Liberia and Myanmar that is about 66lbs of dry material. I have used Ron Meyers Shino as a liner in my pots because it doesn't crawl, it's got a hard surface and it like the colour on a dark clay. Prices of raw materials have gone thru the roof. I had a inside leak a few years ago that the price of spodumene was going to go up. I use Spodumene in two other shino glazes I make. Luckily for me Ron's shino doesn't have spodumene. I bought a 22.68 Kg bag or 50lb bag for $138 in 2021 now in 2023 it is $975 big ones. Other materials like lithium, tin, cobalt and even RIO have gone thru the roof. How do we address this in the price of our work. I always calcualted clay, raw materials and firing to be about 15% of the retail price of a pot. Here is a rough calculation of a garbage pail full of Ron Meyers Shino.$1100 Clams holy fornicate!!!!
A couple of years ago I made some slab built bird houses really intended for indoors as wall art. I used room temperature glaze ( that would be chalk paint). I loved making these and pictured myself as an abstract impressionist. I got a chance to see this bird house in the bathroom of my friends Steve and Lise's house. Steve Corner-potter.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Those garbage pails of glazes are being phased out at my school, goodbye Oatmeal glaze, too much tin, ah Shino, you cost too much now, your days are numbered.

:(

Popular Posts