Making pots for the blind

Several years ago I had a woman visit me and presented me with her final thesis paper for her BFA at University of Western Ontario. It was about how my pots could be enjoyed by the blind. She taught the blind and used my pots in her class. That has stuck with me in my making process. It's not about a WOW glaze. It's about form, it's about texture, tactility and taking your fingers for a walk on the surface of the pot. Yes, you could enjoy a beautiful round classical form. Hold it, hug it and enjoy the smoothness of the surface. Or you could take a pot that maybe resembles a cliff, a rock, a plowed field , a journey for the hand and the mind. Potters often examine a pot with their hands more extensively than with their eyes. We are tactile people. I used to tell the students at Sheridan that they should know what glaze they are going to use before they make the pots. It is time for me to listen to my own good advice. I'm seeing Korean celedon over crack, or temmoku hairs fur fired near the flue where it oxidizes slightly. For a brief minute when making these bourbon sippers I comptemplated not putting a lug/handle on them. Then I thought would they actally be mine or a short cut avoiding the signature I have long established. It's not a handle, it's a signature. A signature is hard to establish. It means someone can walk into a room and know it is you.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Irish Prophet Malachy, He has stated there will be only one more pope after the current one, and during his reign comes the end of the world. So is Benedict the second last pope? The Irish seer of the 12th century has said it will be so. Time will tell. The end is nigh!
Anonymous said…
A good marriage would be between a blind wife and a deaf husband.

Michel
Anonymous said…
Art can blow us out of our pigeon hole. In deafness it may shout or scream, in blindness it may arrest our attention, in numbness it may shake up our mind. If we don’t sense anything at all and take everything for granted, art can kick us in the ass, give a conscience and make us aware.

Erik P
Bill said…
During my last semester in grad school, working as a TA, we had a blind student enroll in a beginning hand building course. Professor decide he couldn't spend enough time with her so he assigned me to teach here one-on-one for the semester. That was when I fell in love with teaching and decided my career would be in teaching - ended up teaching ceramics/art at community college for nearly 40 years.
I still recall the young woman tell me she had sight when she was young. I used mostly verbal descriptions while teaching her and allowing her to feel each step of the process. I would place my hand over hers to help her understand where pressure against the clay was needed. Since she once had sight whenever she wanted to feel/hold/touch something she would say "let me see that". I found after working with her for a while I would end up closing my eyes while I did or described some process....
Anonymous said…
Cake Decorating on clay?
5 Additive Sculptural Techniques on one piece of pottery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjWr5YE3o9U&list=PLGPUDaRlB8tcPGsU_BD29fziGILXErjWr
Anonymous said…
Helpful hints for you!

Check out this video for our TOP 25 TEXTURE TRICKS for inspiration!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIyhYbGiT98
Anonymous said…
FLAC Clay Club takes a co-op approach to building a local clay community to share and maintain the Fuller Lodge Art Center’s ceramic space.

https://www.clayclub.org/

Thanks again! We look forward to talking with you.
Anonymous said…
Have you used our Texture Tools before?

Using Texture Tools on the Wheel

adding texture with a few pulls of your clay

Our Texture Tools are some of our most unique and most popular ceramic tools we make at Garrity Tools!

https://www.garritytools.com/clayclub/2021/10/using-texture-tools
Anonymous said…
The AX National Emerging Artists Ceramics Exhibition 2023

This exhibition is for emerging artists working in clay/ceramics. Works can be functional or sculptural.


Emerging ceramists around the country are invited to make a submission to a jury of respected professional ceramic artists who will select 20 artists to take part in the exhibition.

https://axartscentre.ca/exhibitions-talks/national-exhibition/
Anonymous said…
It's always good to do market research and identify which market will be most interested in buying your work, keep up the good work and make more work only the blind can appreciate.

Ziggy

Popular Posts