Unrealistic Standards of Dedication

I think the world has thousands upon thousands of would be artists. Multi talented naturally born folks with amazing talent. If you are not driven to an unrealistic standard of dedication then art may not be the path for you. This past weekend I drove 3 hours to my buddy Steve's to fire his train kiln. I did two consecutive midnight to 6am shifts with my amazing woman friend Jen Drysdale. I drove home to teach two days of beginners ceramics classes at Pinecroft. Today is Tuesday my weekly ride and breakfast with my buddy Dr. John. I thought shit I need some rest! Should I cancel John because I need to finish the students pots, make glazes, glaze and load my kiln to fire off before Ash and Barrel. The old TC would be up all night trying to do it all. Instead I phoned and cancelled my dental appointment on Thursday so I could ride with John and spend Wednesday glazing, loading and fire Thursday I think I approach everything full on. I am focusing on health and my work so I ride in some of the damnest conditions. Snow, rain, wind, cold, sweltering heat it don't matter. I'm in with unrealistic standards of dedication. I've fired kilns in snow storms, hurricanes and tornados. Some say a strong back and a weak mind. Artists don't need to be wasted on drugs and booze, half mad, in deep states of depression or anything like that. They need to show up with unrealistic standards of dedication. And that my friends is the story of my life.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Karen sightings?

If you’ve ever encountered a middle-aged woman, generally with a blond bob haircut, berating a hapless service worker and demanding to speak to a manager, you’ve met a “Karen.”

The slang term has become ubiquitous over the past several years, giving a universal moniker to women who are perceived as obnoxious and entitled . While encountering a Karen in the wild is not uncommon, their tirades are more often captured on video and shared online.

The most common Karen behaviours observed were excessive complaining (82 per cent), mistreating service workers (77 per cent), unreasonable demands (75 per cent) and demanding to speak to a manager (73 per cent).

Karens seem to avoid cold-weather locations, with Canada having a lower Karen density than the U.S., and northern states have less Karen frequency than southern states. Karens were more often encountered in the U.S., with Alabama, Ohio, and Oregon all achieving a score of 6 out of 10.

So keep your camera phones on the ready to capture a Karen in the wild.

K
Anonymous said…
Queeriosities Art + Makers Fair
Explore our art and makers fair led by LGBTQ+ creatives and businesses, including a panel discussion on queer domestic making and style.

https://www.museumofthehome.org.uk/whats-on/events/queeriosities-art-makers-fair/

Saturday 20 May to Sunday 21 May
Anonymous said…
My father taught me that you can you read a hundred books on wisdom and write a hundred books on wisdom, but unless you apply what you learned then its only words on a page. Life is not lived with intentions, but action.

Shannon
Anonymous said…
You should make what you like to make.
The potter/ceramicist should follow the integrity of his own imagination and his own vision.

Arthur A.

Popular Posts