Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Historical References

Here is some of the stuff I've been looking at as sources of inspiration. Some look at flowers. Some look at rocks. Some look at fashion. I look at old pots! I am always humbled by how much better those pots of 500 years ago are than a lot of what is being produced today and hey that includes most of mine. I get the odd goodun' out.  Sometimes even a deaf, dumb and blind wart hog can find an acorn in the barnyard.


Isn't that Oribe ware killer?

2 comments:

Dennis Allen said...

I used to restore antique furniture.People always talked about the quality workmanship of our forefathers. To some extent that was true but also a few hundred years of wear and tear weeds out a lot of the bad stuff while the cherished items survive.

Andrew Langille said...

Hello Tony, I've just found your blog and I'll keep a close eye on it. It's just my cup of tea. If I had to choose what Japanese pottery I had to jump ship with it would be the oribe ware and a few Shino pots thrown in. I admire the directness of the decoration and the clever shapes. We can't improve upon it but we can certainly channel it.