Go ahead and be a Dick!

I chatted with my 86 year old neighbour Dick at the liquor store today. He was buying  a 40 pounder of rum for his wife and I was buying some medicine of my own strictly for medicinal purposes, you understand. Dick walks 5 miles a day and never misses rain, snow, exhausting heat and extreme cold and wind. Be a Dick! He asked the cashier for the receipt. I said "How can you write off liquor? He said don't you worry I'm still in business. He was a former Insurance Agent and probably out lived most of his clients but kept a few.  At 86 he looks fit, he drinks his rum, he still runs his business and takes time to walk 5 miles, stop and talk with people along his route- me being one of them.
My hands have me doing a year's worth of book keeping today. It's about all I can do with them. The needles had my hand swell up like the 5 little piggies that went to market and I guess next week when they try to break the contracture it will be even prettier.
That's as flat as I can get that hand.

A little bruising.

A life time of moving mountains of clay and forests of wood. In my prime I used to throw around 6 tons of clay a year and cut, split, stack and pile 40 cords of wood. My house was heated and my kiln  fired with wood.
I just connected with an old friend that went on to take her Doctorate in Psychology and has written on Ageing and Mindfulness. She writes in French Doc Agel so you two will have to meet to swap theories.
Here a little of what she wrote me today- a shortened version
-We tend to identify with what we do (teacher, artist, business executive, or parent) without realizing that is only part of who we are. It may be time to free ourselves from clinging to productive roles which gave us a sense of identity and self worth. We may have to search for new meaning in our lives.-Dr. Guilheme Perodeau
I figure this hand job will give me another decade or two of moving clay and wood. I want to be a Dick. Some say I always have been one,  except with the given name Anthony.







We tend to identify with what we do (teacher, artist, business executive, or parent) without realizing that it is only part of who we are.  As we age, opportunities for role-gratification dwindle. We may then believe that, once we stop producing and achieving, we are of little value.  We may then have to search for new meaning in our lives.  It may be time to free ourselves from clinging to productive roles which gave us a sense of identity and self-worth.

Comments

Barbara Rogers said…
I haven't said much in comments here, but I read your blogs most days. I do hope your hand heals and is able to be rehabilitated to your satisfaction. Your psychologist's advice is good for me to read also. It reminds me of looking at each part of our body and saying, I am not this foot, I am not this leg, I am not this arm, I am not this hand...I am much more than any parts. Same to you, Tony!
gz said…
A post to make us think. Like Barbara,I read most of your posts. Keep making us think!!

Wishing you success with the hand op..like many makers mine seem to be following that path too,sadly.
A post to make us think. Like Barbara,I read most of your posts. Keep making us think!!

Wishing you success with the hand op..CSUF Guide
puja said…
Great article. Please keep it up such great work. please check this article to get the information about the universities csuf help
James Hacker said…
JAMES TECH of the email address. (jameshacker157@gmail.com) its at it again! Cool way to have financial freedom!!! Are you tired of living a poor life,then here is the opportunity you have been waiting for. Get the new ATM BLANK CARD that can hack any ATM MACHINE and withdraw money from any account. You do not require anybody's account number before you can use it. Although you and I knows that its illegal,there is no risk using it. It has SPECIAL FEATURES, that makes the machine unable to detect this very card,and its transaction is can't be traced . You can use it anywhere in the world. With this card,you can withdraw nothing less than $50,000 in a day. So to get the card,reach the hackers via email address : jameshacker157@gmail.com. View this link to see how it work. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZK4Mz93xiA

Popular Posts