The Second Mouse


I came home with a couple of goodies for the gang at The Cactus Lounge. I don’t need another pot!! We as potters don’t make one single thing that anyone needs so we had better damn well make them interesting so that people want them.
Sometimes it pays to be the second mouse going for the cheese. The first mouse runs the risk of dying for the cause and the second mouse walks over his pal and eats the cheese.  I looked at this little vase of Heather Smit’s the entire weekend. Almost every other vase sold but the one I had been eyeing. Same goes for the teapot of Bruce Cochrane’s. Why don’t people have the good taste that I do? Some of my best pots are in my daughter Robin’s collection. They are pots that didn’t sell and so she inherited them.
Heather’s vase screams 1957 Chevy to me. My oldest brothers black two door hardtop 57 Chevy with those great fins on the back. It is the fins on this little vase that I love so much. It is the perfect vase for a single rose or iris. Less is more. Gawd, I never thought I’d utter those words. Heather’s sweet little wine cup with that built in shelf is pretty sweet too. God, is in the details.
Bruce’s teapot thrown upside down with added top, cut feet, lovely handle and spout made with a dowel. Man that teapot is packing a big one. Such a well made and lovely object.
It is important to surround yourself with work that inspires you. We all at times need inspiration and when surrounded by good work we are more apt to find our way out of the dark well. The very best potters and the very best students have libraries full of books and shelves full of pots. It is large reason



why they are the very best. 

Comments

Popular Posts