Canada is weaker today


Today as I get ready to welcome my best wood firers to fire Cassius Clay here at Pinecroft I am saddened listening to the music of Canada’s Gord Downie of The Tragically Hip. Gord died last night of brain cancer. Canada is weaker with the loss of one of our finest artists.
In a CBC interview recorded earlier he said “ I don’t play golf, I make art, that is what I do”. I identified with that statement so closely the tears were streaming down my cheeks.
So not much to say today except how important it is to make art. How it touches lives and how important it is in our lives. Gord’s last concert was watched by 1 in 3 Canadians. A potter will never command that kind of attention or audience  but from what I know of Gord Downie he would have given you that attention and all of his attention. Make your art as if today is the last day. 
If you have never listened to a Hip song treat yourself. Here is one of my favourites- A Boy from Fiddlers Green.
and another.
 Courage.
There’s no simple explanation
For anything important any of us do
And yeah the human tragedy
Consists in the necessity
Of living with the consequences
Under pressure, under pressure
Courage, my word, it didn’t come, it doesn’t matter
Courage , my word, it didn’t come, it doesn’t matter
Courage, it couldn’t come at a worse time.  Gord Downie.


A sad day in Canada.

Comments

Popular Posts