Makin' Whoopie

I have always enjoyed trimming a whoopie into the bottom of my pots. Potters love foot rings and it is fun to watch their fingers exploring the whoopie while they handle the pot. Most potters would hold a hot bowl of soup over their heads to look at the trimming on the bottom of a pot. I watched Bruce Cochrane at school the other day make some complicated 3 piece bowls that had a cut out tri-pod foot. I thought hmmmmmmm that cut out would really celebrate my whoopie. Mine are one piece bowls with an articulated shape. The tripod foot reminds me of some Micheal Simon vases that I used to look at and admire. Along with 3 feet come 3 little lugs. I like that odd number sequence. It is easy to imitate but it way better to innovate.


I at first wanted to turn them into baskets but my baskets don't sell worth Billy Be Damned. I think people lack the creativity to know what to use them for.

Comments

Dennis Allen said…
The cut out really elevates the bowl.
Anonymous said…
Yes, they sort of look like they are ready to twirl off the table! They add a nice lift to the form!
DropStitchChris said…
They look so cool!! I like them just the way they are:)
Kate P. said…
Hard to eat soup out of baskets. I like the movement.

Popular Posts