Moments of brillance!

Our guest artist in residence Phd candidate Drew Ippoliti gave the second years some interesting assignments this semester. One was to design a container to contain 12 eggs, the other was to combine ceramics with a found object or something off E-bay and the other was a ceramic food object to celebrate a ritual. There were some clever solutions that I forgot to photograph.When I a  engaged in teaching I am never very good at documenting the moment.
Joonie had a nice range of items involving the egg. I was attracted to her slip cast and thrown Canada Dry Ginger Ale cups with a slip cast ginger root as another drinking solution. Trevor won my heart with a slaughtered pig with bacon spewing out of it's stomach. It of course repulsed the vegetarian on faculty which allowed me to have an extra piece of bacon.
What I liked so much about the crits this year is that some of the students are learning to present their work in new ways. The old table cloth on a table screams craft sale and it is slowly sinking in to them that it is perception of the value of the work that can make all the difference.




Comments

Popular Posts